79 Years of Recreation & Relaxation
Southern Hills Country Club was established in 1936 as a private country club. The land that is now Southern Hills Country Club was donated by oilman Waite Phillips.
When the stock market crashed, Mr. Phillips’ fortune was almost totally liquid; it was estimated to be approximately $50 million. He became Chairman of The First National Bank of Tulsa, and he was approached by Bill Warren and Cecil Canary to finance a new country club. They spoke of the need for a family-oriented club that would include a swimming pool, stable, horseback trails, polo field, skeet range, tennis courts, clubhouse and golf course. Golf was not as popular in those days and swimming pools were rare.